[lbo-talk] black feminists on obama

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 09:01:13 PST 2008

--- shag at cleandraws.com wrote:

> charles mentioned sexism among obama supporters. i
> didn't think sexism
> among obama supporters was that big a deal. i don't

[WS:] Do you think that if Obama were a Black female, she would get much support from the Black community? I sincerely doubt.

BTW, I attended an Obama rally in Baltimore yesterday and I was unimpressed. Perhaps it had something to do with the hype generated around his persona, only to see that the reality is far more prosaic. I mean, I liked his ideas, but they were standard Democratic ideas not much different from those of other Democratic candidates, and deliverd in a standard American politican style - genuflecting to free market, capitalism, American exceptionalism and leadership, and the military.

And then a thought occurred to me that it would be indeed priceless - ever hilarious :) if you will - to see all those macho military wingnuts saluting to a FEMALE Commander in Chief. It would be a far more subversive than the same wingnuts saluting to a black male - after all we had Colin Powell, not to mention black drill sergeants.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs