[lbo-talk] Obama, community organizer

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 10:58:48 PST 2008

--- Charles Brown <charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us> wrote:

> percentages of Hispanic and Asian vote ?

[WS:] I think Hispanic vote is a different story. For them, immigration tends to be the most important issue, and since Dems are much sensible on immigration than Repugs, that pushes Hispanics into the Democratic camp.

Furthermore, there is a deep rift between the Hispanic and Black communities - I see it in Baltimore/DC area and I hear it is present elsewhere. This explains why Hispanics tend to prefer a white female (despite their sexism) to a Black male - even though Obama is steering clear of Black identity politics. In this case racial stereotypes seem to trump sexist stereotypes.

However, I agree with you that in case of many white and black males supporting Obama, sexism seem to trump racism. I think it is particular to the fact that POTUS is also the Commader in Chief of the military. Given the sacrosanct position of the military in the US culture - many males would have problems seeing a female in that position, even though they would vote for a female senator or a congressperson.

To sum it up, sexist and racist prejudices work diffrently in different social-political contexts. For some, sexism trumps racism, for others the reverse is true. What is more, the same individual may be swayed by sexist or racist prejudices in different contexts (i.e. prefer a white female for a senator, but a black male for president).

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping