[lbo-talk] 2008 Connecticut Democratic Primary Results Map

shag at cleandraws.com shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Feb 12 11:39:20 PST 2008

I made some crack about Connecticut vote and the netroots, because what it looked like was that the Clinton/Obama results mirrored the Lamont/Lierberman results -- which was the netroots claim to fame.

Here is a map of the results which shows a very modest class division according to the author:

http://www.cogitamusblog.com/2008/02/2008-connecticu.html

2008 Connecticut Democratic Primary Results Map

Because the Nutmeg state reports results by Township rather than county, we can get a much finer-grained pictures of who's voting for Hillary Clinton and who's voting for Barack Obama. This lets us see the modest —and let me emphasize modest—class-based divide between Clinton and Obama voters in the Northeast.

Connecticut_dem The overall picture here is that Barack Obama won the exurbs of New York, in the Southwest corner of the state, as well as the area surrounding New Haven (Yale), Mansfield (UConn), Windsor (University of Hartford), and Lyme (Connecticut College). Clinton held Obama close in Hartford itself and won various working-class regions: suburbs outside of New Haven and Hartford, plus a big chunk of Eastern Connecticut. But there's one exception to this egghead/lunchbucket divide. Northwest Connecticut is less educated and has a lower average income than the rest of the state, but it's some of the strongest Obama territory there is. I have no good explanation for this.

Long-time Ezra Klein readers may recognize that this map looks an awful lot like the Lieberman-Lamont primary results. Essentially, Lamont voters became Obama voters, while Lieberman voters became Clinton voters. That's not, I think, particularly surprising.

http://www.cogitamusblog.com/2008/02/2008-connecticu.html

Shag -- not a feminist because Shane Mage said -- Carpet Bomb -- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws ('coz there's 5 million ways to kill a CEO)