[lbo-talk] A Republican Reasons

shag at cleandraws.com shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Feb 12 12:27:27 PST 2008

here's this guy's reasons why he wouldn't mind an Obama presidency. I love that "willingness to engage with Republicans" aura he gives off. *chuckle*

somewhat support Woj's claims, but not for sexist reasons i don't think, he thinks a black man in office would do the u.s.'s public image better in terms of foreign policy -- which would mean we'd be better at kicking terr'ist ass. (clinton wouldn't cause she sucks like clinton1)

http://robertbluey.com/blog/2008/02/12/why-i-voted-for-obama/

3) The audacity of hope. Suppose my plan backfires and Obama ends up as the leader of the free world. There are some positive things that could result from the first black president and an inspiring young leader.

America’s image around the world almost certainly increase, giving us a greater ability to fight the war on terror. As much as I admire President Bush for his strong foreign policy, there’s no question our country has suffered as a result of his “You’re either with us or against us” way of thinking. That’s unfair to Bush, but it is reality.

If — and it’s a big if — Obama were to pursue a robust foreign policy with reliable national security advisers, he could make significant strides. I’m less confident of Clinton in this regard based on her husband’s failure to stop Osama bin Laden from building his al Qaeda network in the 1990s; Hillary would almost certainly bring back many of those same advisers. Read the wonderful book, “The Looming Tower,” and you’ll understand exactly why I’m scarred.

And finally, even though I dislike most of Obama’s policies, I do admire his willingness to engage with Republicans. The most notable example came in 2006 when he teamed with conservative Sen. Tom Coburn☼ to pass the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act, a bill that had the backing of the bipartisan coalition known as Porkbusters. I’m much more confident in Obama’s bipartisan spirit than anything Hillary would have to offer.