[lbo-talk] Unproductive labor

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Feb 12 13:05:50 PST 2008

On Feb 12, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>> So you're talking about the person taking the trip,
>> right? The trip
>> itself is productive if it's taken on an airplane,
>> no?
>
> [WS:] Not quite. The airline income from that trip,
> or rather the diffrenece between its sales of tickets
> and intermediate consumption (cost of fuel, airport
> fees etc.)is the value added (which is SV or profit +
> compensation of employees, I suppose).

Not quite. The value added also has to include the real depreciation (capital consumption) of the airplane. For one passernger that isn't even measurable. For the whole economy its a big deal. That's why Marx was so hard on Adam Smith for defining "value" as v+s instead of c+v+s.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos