[lbo-talk] Toxic fiscalism

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Tue Feb 12 20:04:39 PST 2008

The obvious reason to support large government debt is that when debt gets too low, conservatives get greedy for tax cuts. I remember when Jerry Brown started to put money away for a rainy day, the anti-tax crowd used to as an excuse to launch proposition 13. Think about Greenspan's horror when Clinton cut the national debt, leading the Maestro to worry that the government might have to use the surplus in the stock market.

Some nutty ones want to cut taxes no matter what -- which undermines my argument.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu michaelperelman.wordpress.com