[lbo-talk] I'll be voting in TX Dem primary - who should I vote for?]

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Feb 13 07:58:08 PST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 10:18 AM, shag at cleandraws.com wrote:

> ...you know what bothered me Obama's speech last night. The way he
> emphasizes
> how much you have to work hard to have the american dream...

> ...that's the problem with the u.s., hard
> work isn't rewarded. and we aren't giving out any hand outs mind.
> you will
> get it if you work hard. you will get college tuition if you work
> hard.
> you give, and work hard at it. then we'll give you something.

Odd, but that wasn't my impression from the segment I saw on CNN before they cut to the Zombie--then the "hard work" he was talking about was the work that would be needed to effectuate his (conventionally progressive) "change" program. It sounded like a call for sustained political involvement-- a "we" nothing like the royal "we" that Clinton has adopted to detail the supposed "expertise" with which she will "run the country" "from day one." I did hear the part where he rapped on his tuition grant program--but again the counterpart he talked about was some form of social involvement, not self-interested personal advancement. Anyway, the enthusiasm generated seemed real enough.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos