[lbo-talk] The Virginia verdict

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 13 08:27:13 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> VA DEM -- In the Democratic contest Obama not only won 90 percent of
> African-Americans but beat Hillary Clinton among whites, 52-47
> percent. That came on the strength of his support from white men, who
> favored him by an 18-point margin.
>
> Obama has won or tied Clinton among white men in 12 previous contests
> in which exit polls were conducted, and in seven of them he won the
> race. (Those he lost include California and Arizona, where Hispanics
> made the difference for Clinton.)

At the subjective level racism and sexism (both _powerful_) work in quite different (and not wholly understood) ways. There are certainly _elements_ of misogyny in sexism, as there are elements of race hatred or white pride in racism, but these are _only_ elements, not by any means the whole of either "ism." And I think those differences favor Obama. Whites (esp. white liberals) don't want "too many" black people living in their neighborhood. They don't want public housing near them. They don't want "too many" blacks at their place of work. Somewhat less 'liberal' whites may not be comfortable with a black supervisor -- but not quite as uncomfortable as they would be withy a female supervisor -- even a supervisor that they personally liked. But when it comes to more "distant" relationshps (such as president of the union local, the university or the country) men (and too damn many women) become _really_ _uneasy_ (I think that is the best word) at the thought of a woman occupying those positions. And thus given a black man (who also assures them that they are not racists and don't have to feel guilty anymore)and a white woman for president, for _any_ significant leadership role, they are going to be, if not more comfortable, less uncomfortable with the black man than the white woman.

Carrol