[lbo-talk] The Case Against Alan Dershowitz: Plagiarism, Cover Up and Misrepresentations

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 08:46:49 PST 2008

Under current honor codes in Law Schools Dersh would have been expelled. But apparently these rules don't apply to the great Dersh. The next time one of his students gets caught plagiarizing, or cribbing quotes without attribution, and is threatened with administrative action the student should point to Dersh and say, "But I was only following my Profs example."

But all of this pales to Dersh's underlying "crimes." The reason Dersh is in trouble is because he has lied and plagiarized. But this trouble is analogous to the trouble that a perjurer gets in when he lies to cover up fraud and murder. It is the underlying crime that the perjurer is covering for and it is that we are most concerned with.

Dersh's underlying "crimes" is that he is a major propagandist for terrorism, war crimes, and torture committed by U.S. imperialism. Dersh is a major apologist for Israeli extreme nationalism. He advocates torture, with a veneer of "rule of law." It is because he is a propagandist for war crimes that he is brought to lie and plagiarize. Like Al Capone punished for tax evasion Dersh should be punished for plagiarism, but plagiarism can be forgiven. Propaganda for the new barbarity of "liberalism" should not be forgiven.

Jerry Monaco