[lbo-talk] Brecht in Iran

John E. Norem jnorem at cox.net
Thu Feb 14 09:03:16 PST 2008

A Berlin threatre's own Iran drama 14.02.08 02:32

(_ dpa <http://www.dpa.com/>_) - The Berlin Theater ensemble was supposed to contribute to cultural ties between Iran and Germany by performing Bertolt Brecht's "Mother Courage" in the annual arts festival in Tehran.

However, the project faced unprecedented problems ranging from sniffer dogs to confiscated blank cartridge rifles and pistols and eventually the need to change one part of the famous anti-war drama.

"I saw things I had never seen before (in my career)," said Claus Peymann, director of the Berlin Theater ensemble about the play.

Peymann said that he faced harsh criticism from Iranian dissidents back home in Germany for his decision to play to Iran.

http://news.trendaz.com/index.shtml?show=news&newsid=1134797&lang=EN