[lbo-talk] Who's working on single-payer

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com
Fri Feb 15 05:13:01 PST 2008

I started looking through these sites yesterday, and what strikes me is the fragmentation of it all.

(1) Andy Stern - damn him - has made sure that the labor movement as a whole won't be getting behind HR676. (2) Healthcare NOW doesn't just have a bad web site; they have no apparent strategy. And no organization working out of 339 Lafayette has the resources to direct a national campaign (I say this with all love and respect for David McReynolds and the good folks at WRL). (3) PNHP is much better organized (and they got started early - Quentin Young kicked this off around 1989), but their focus really is on doctors as a constituency. You can join as a supporter if you're not an MD, but aside from kicking in your $40, there's not much you can do. (4) AFAICT, the strategy right now seems to be to work for single payer at the state level (hence Kuehl's bill in CA). So, for example, there's an organization "Health Care for All in Illinois" that is clearly a PNHP spinoff (they work out of the same office). I guess I can see a couple of rationales here: (a) unfavorable climate in Washington, (b) easier to pressure state legislatures, where a few busloads of citizens roaming the halls can make an impression. But I worry that this states-first strategy will serve to dissipate energy; and in any case at some point it will have to become a national campaign. (5) In contrast, there's no organized movement of any scale that I can discover for the Conyers Bill (HR 676), which apparently can't even get hearings scheduled. I think this is the real hole in the movement. We need a national bill, I think, for a couple of reasons: (a) eventually the national systems in place such as Medicare and VA are going to have to serve as templates for the administration of single-payer; we can't have each state reinventing the wheel; (b) even if we can't get HR 676 now, by using it as the model, it makes state initiatives part of a national movement AND makes any state initiatives that we do pass consistent with the model we want nationally.

So that would be my strategy - focus on the Conyers Bill and link state initiatives to it. And I agree that we should do it for Carl instead of just kvetching. So, seriously, where do we start?

Michael McIntyre