[lbo-talk] at least he's black!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 15 07:32:50 PST 2008

On Feb 15, 2008, at 8:13 AM, Julio Huato wrote:

> He doesn't make an empirical claim that race inequality
> doesn't exist. That'd be stupid.

There's just a 10% remnant:

<http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2007/03/ obamas_selma_speech_text_as_de.html>

We're going to leave it to the Joshua generation to make sure it happens. There are still battles that need to be fought; some rivers that need to be crossed. Like Moses, the task was passed on to those who might not have been as deserving, might not have been as courageous, find themselves in front of the risks that their parents and grandparents and great grandparents had taken. That doesn't mean that they don't still have a burden to shoulder, that they don't have some responsibilities. The previous generation, the Moses generation, pointed the way. They took us 90% of the way there. We still got that 10% in order to cross over to the other side. So the question, I guess, that I have today is what's called of us in this Joshua generation? What do we do in order to fulfill that legacy; to fulfill the obligations and the debt that we owe to those who allowed us to be here today?