[lbo-talk] VD! -- you mean "Lupercalia, " the Celebration of the Wolf

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 07:27:41 PST 2008

As the classist Bill Thayer says better than I can:

*** "Modern attempts to relate the Lupercalia to Valentine's Day because of the mere (approximate) date seem very suspect to me. That the two occasionally get equated seems rather to be an indication of late 20c mentality, according to which a lovers' festival must necessarily derive from the titillations of ancient fertility and flagellation by goats. More to the point, there is not the slightest shred of historical evidence for the connection. In the 5c, Pope Gelasius instituted the feast of St. Valentine (possibly a bishop of Terni in Umbria, although there are several other candidates), but we have no record of his motives: if you can see any relation between the celebration of the Lupercalia as you read it above and anyone's celebration of Valentine's Day, you're a better man than I, or you have some exceedingly odd friends. (For a perfect example of this kind of projection, though, see this fun article in the San Francisco Gate; it even quotes the article you've just read.)

"From the purification of shepherds and fields (not, by the way, of women) to the Purification of the Virgin Mary is another unwarranted leap made by some, on the tenuous grounds of coincidence and closeness of date, since the Christian feast is celebrated on the 2d of February. Fortunately, the odd notion is easily disposed of by a glance at the Bible and a calendar: see the Catholic Encyclopedia article Candlemas. This is not to say that in the decaying world of paganism and rising Christianity, there were not connections; for a careful, close look at them, see The Lupercalia in the Fifth Century (CP 26:60‑69).

"Finally, leaving aside the vagaries of those who seek to reduce Christianity to a hotch-potch of pagan rituals — in case you haven't noticed, gentle reader, we're dealing with an agenda — the Lupercalia themselves have been described as including a "lottery" in which young girls would write their names on slips of paper and young men draw them out of a box (or vice-versa), under the supervision of the Luperci: this is sheer fabrication, and a recent one at that. There is no ancient witness to any of it. It is not true.

"There are a lot of things we don't know. Many people, abhorring a void, fill it up with nonsense." ***

I would add to this that we know very little about the Lupercalla from original sources. Most of the sources are from late antiquity when the festival had already lost much of its original function. The earliest written sources are from the time of the empire. Livy only mentions the festival once as far as I can remember. One of our main sources is Plutarch, esp. in his "Life of Marc Antony" and he wrote his life more than 70 years after the events he relates.

These kinds of festivals were not uncommon in the Mediterranean region.

Most of the things we think we know about history reduce to an elaboration of legend. In fact most of what we think we know about everything is mere convenient confabulation.

Jerry Monaco