[lbo-talk] Harlan Ellison On The Writers Strike Settlement

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 08:03:48 PST 2008

Greg Boozell quoted Harlan Ellison:

<snip>

...I voted NO on accepting this deal.

My reasons are good, and they are plentiful; Patric Verrone will be saddened by what I am about to say; long-time friends will shake their heads; but this I say without equivocation...

THEY BEAT US LIKE A YELLOW DOG. IT IS A SHIT DEAL.

[...]

full at -

<http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=5610>

Funny you should post this.

I forwarded Ellison's outburst to my LA-based, teevee writing friend CD, who, as Monroe watching LBO readers may remember, was introduced in the following:

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2007/2007-December/023903.html>

Here's his response:

Sigh.

Fuck this rich, old piece of shit, writing his protests from some mahogany mansion, overlooking his glorious piece of the universe.

Could a better deal have been forged? Maybe. But all that insulting talk about a majority of people with mouths to feed. Did that fuck reach into his pockets and offer ailing write families support to fight the good fight, especially considering how good life and writing has been to him.

Honestly, I want to ram a stake through his decrepit eye.

[...]

Harlan Ellison is the sort of guy who'd punch you in the gut, then wonder why you're upset.

He makes a few good points but shows total contempt for his colleagues who couldn't hold out forever and had to make do under present circumstances.

.d.

-- "Rah el sani', ija el ussta"

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/