[lbo-talk] at least he's black!

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Feb 15 09:24:10 PST 2008

Julio Huato wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>

>> There's just a 10% remnant:
>>

> But sure, that remaining 10% is still uphill and full of dangers.
> There's still much to do. But we should pay homage to those who
> struggled before us, leading to the abolition of slavery and the
> recognition of civil rights, already a long part of the way.
> Approximately, like 89.99999999%, which we can safely round up to 90%.
>
> C'mon, it's a rhetorical figure. Not a claimed made in a scientific paper.

That's exactly why this 10% claim is so dubious. As rhetoric, it effectively conceals the fact that racism is a integral element of all social institutions in the U. S. (e.g., religion, education, politics, economy, family). Given the impact of racism as a wedge that divides the working class, I'd go as far as to say that racism is one of the lynchpins of capitalist social relations in our society. --And all of this is just as true today as it was 50 years ago! I understand why Obama would say "we're 90% there"; it's inspiring, it's motivating, it's upbeat. But it's also bullshit.

Miles