[lbo-talk] at least he's black!

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 12:41:03 PST 2008

At 10:05 AM 2/15/2008, you wrote:
> > the fact that racism is a
> > integral element of all
> > social institutions.....
>
>[Ws:] Can you demonstrate that "fact" in a matter of
>fact manner? Seriously, I'd rather go with Obama's
>10% figure, which is of course a figure of speech,
>than with the above statement that surely looks like
>bombastic hyperbole.
>
>Wojtek

Here's a couple things posted recently to this list:

ER docs give whites narcotics more often

By CARLA K. JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer Tue Jan 1, 5:53 PM ET

Emergency room doctors are prescribing strong narcotics more often to patients who complain of pain, but minorities are less likely to get them than whites, a new study finds. Even for the severe pain of kidney stones, minorities were prescribed narcotics such as oxycodone and morphine less frequently than whites.

The analysis of more than 150,000 emergency room visits over 13 years found differences in prescribing by race in both urban and rural hospitals, in all U.S. regions and for every type of pain.

"The gaps between whites and nonwhites have not appeared to close at all," said study co-author Dr. Mark Pletcher of the University of California, San Francisco.

ScienceDaily (Feb. 8, 2008) ­ Crude historical depictions of African Americans as ape-like may have disappeared from mainstream U.S. culture, but research presented in a new paper by psychologists at Stanford, Pennsylvania State University and the University of California-Berkeley reveals that many Americans subconsciously associate blacks with apes.

In addition, the findings show that society is more likely to condone violence against black criminal suspects as a result of its broader inability to accept African Americans as fully human, according to the researchers.

Co-author Jennifer Eberhardt, a Stanford associate professor of psychology who is black, said she was shocked by the results, particularly since they involved subjects born after Jim Crow and the civil rights movement. "This was actually some of the most depressing work I have done," she said. "This shook me up. You have suspicions when you do the work­intuitions­you have a hunch. But it was hard to prepare for how strong [the black-ape association] was­how we were able to pick it up every time."