[lbo-talk] at least he's black!

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Feb 15 14:52:05 PST 2008

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> --- Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:
>

>> the fact that racism is a
>> integral element of all
>> social institutions in the U. S. (e.g., religion,
>> education, politics,
>> economy, family).
>>

> [Ws:] Can you demonstrate that "fact" in a matter of
> fact manner? Seriously, I'd rather go with Obama's
> 10% figure, which is of course a figure of speech,
> than with the above statement that surely looks like
> bombastic hyperbole.
>
> Wojtek

Here's a start:

racial profiling in the criminal justice system systematic preferences for white applicants in job searches banking preferences for white loan applicants compared to equally qualified minority applicants higher per student funding in predominantly white schools disproportionate representation of whites in all three branches of government higher poverty rates for African Americans less access to health care for African Americans disproportionate representation of minorities in negative roles in mass media (e.g., the majority of crackheads on TV are minorities, but the majority in the "real world" are white) more positive teacher expectations for white students than minority students

According to any meaningful metric, whites in our society have a formidable number of privileges and advantages compared to other racial groups. Granted, whites typically take all these systematic advantages for granted--but that's what socially privileged groups tend to do!

Miles