[lbo-talk] How democratic is having "superdelegates"?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Feb 17 12:34:47 PST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Peter Lavelle wrote:

> In my weekly television program at "Russia Today" I intend to
> discuss "superdelegates." How democratic is this - since the US has
> the terrible habit of telling the rest of world what democracy
> should be....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

There's nothing abnormal or undemocratic in a political party's having ex officio delegates (members of congress, governors, former presidents or vice-presidents) to its official bodies--provided they make up a small percentage of the total. Having 20 percent of the delegates ex officio goes way beyond the bounds of any democratic procedure.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos