[lbo-talk] the hyperbole continues: Obama = Mandela

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Feb 17 12:53:23 PST 2008

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> It was unusual because in my prof's eyes I was "transcending race".
> Which is never something White people are almost never described as
> doing, no matter where they go or what they do (are Swedish NGO
> do-gooders in Afghanistan seen as "transcending race"?) - a
> consequence of the luxury bestowed by being the measure against which
> all other people are judged.

So far as I can see "transcending race" is another flavor of "you're not like other blacks."

Further sub-text: "You're not dirty, uneducated, or a thief. You will not make the faux pas of reminding us that racism still exists in this country and destroys the lives of millions. You already understand that you share the interests of the ruling class and no one else.

It was a revelation to me the see that "You're not like other women" was definitely not a compliment. But then I understood.

Joanna