[lbo-talk] at least he's black!

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 21:37:58 PST 2008

John Thornton wrote:

> Are you deliberately misreading me?

I can only make inferences on the basis of what you write. I can't read your mind.

This is what we both wrote:

>>> Why give Obama a pass on this BS? Would you give Clinton a similar pass
>>> if she said something this offensive and stupid?
>>>

>> Because he's black.
>
> That makes it more dangerous and offensive, not less.

Clearly, it wasn't a discussion about an abstract woman vs. an abstract Black man making an out of thin air claim.

> I claim the lie that blacks are 90% equal with whites is more dangerous
> when it comes from the mouth of a black man than a white man or woman.

You are making a big deal out of a phrase in a political speech. I have referred you to Obama's book. There he clarifies what he means.

> You and Obama's other supports keep trying to make his statement equal
> to simply claiming "progress has been made" when that is not what he said.

Of course. I don't know what Obama's true feelings are about it. As far as his stated views are concerned, I can only judge on the basis of what he himself has declared and the clarifications he's made.

You and Obama's other detractors are trying to paint him as politically dangerous. He might well be, but that cannot be determined on the basis of claims like yours.