[lbo-talk] Obamaphilia "has gotten creepy, " LA Times Obama supporter writes

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 20:33:07 PST 2008

[Linked from Krugman's blog where he warns about Obama's health care reform prospects ("Obama is using as a surrogate on health care Bush Dog Democrat Jim Cooper") -- http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/18/bad-health-care-omens/ -- as well as the backlash that Obamamania may, or is already, starting to inspire: http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/18/hype-and-glory/

-B.]

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2008/02/18/2008-02-18_obama_manias_got_all_sides_screaming.html

[...]

"Obamaphilia has gotten creepy," wrote a pro-Obama Los Angeles Times columnist, Joel Stein. "The best we Obamaphiles can do is to refrain from embarrassing ourselves."

Obama's rivals are trying to use Obamamania against him.

In Ohio last week, Clinton said oratory and excitement aren't enough.

"Words are cheap," she said in Lordstown, Ohio. "When the bright lights are off and the speeches are over, who can you count on to listen to you, to stand up for you, to deliver solutions for you?"

Republican John McCain went even further in his Super Tuesday slam on Obama.

"I do not seek the presidency on the presumption that I am blessed with such personal greatness that history has anointed me to save my country in its hour of need," he said tartly.

Obama appears to have heard the rumblings.

Last week in Janesville, Wis., he told a crowd that he would "take it down a notch" and give them a speech that was "a little more detailed, a little longer, with not as many applause lines."