[lbo-talk] Obama/Clinton

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 06:57:21 PST 2008

--- abu hartal <abuhartal at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Obama has not threatened to invade and occupy a
> country that votes in the wrong government. We can
--etc.

[WS:] While I agree with your view that the presidential elections are viewed primarily by the leneses of US identity politics (which is nauseating!), I do not think that your arguments about foreign policy issues have much validity. What candidates say about their foreign policy, if elected, is not worth the paper on which it is printed. Bush sounded like an isolationis (not a bad thing when it comes to the US foreign policy) while chastising Clinton for his involvement in foreign wars (dubbed as "democracy building"). And what did we get instead? Of course one should have smelled the rat by noting hawks on his foreign policy team - like Rumsfeld or the otherwise "liberal" Wolfowitz. How is it different from the "liberal" Brzezinski on Obama's team?

I stopped paying attention to what candidates say on foreign policy because it is simply a red herring, a cheap way of gaining political support without being held accountable for one's promises - since as you correctly observed foreigners do not vote in US presidential elections. Other than that, foreign policy is "bipartisan" i.e. relatively idenpendent of party politics, and instead decided by a cabal of corporate bosses and special interest groups with imperial ambitions and interests. Most 'Muricans cannot even find most foreign countries on the map, so they cannot care about something they hardly know it exists.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping