[lbo-talk] Obama/Clinton

abu hartal abuhartal at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 08:14:27 PST 2008

On mismatch between Bush's campaign and foreign policicy , Sokolowski writes

"And what did we get instead? Of course one should have smelled the rat by noting hawks on his foreign policy team - like Rumsfeld or the otherwise "liberal" Wolfowitz. How is it different from the "liberal" Brzezinski on Obama's team?"

1 You don't deny that Obama and Clinton have articulated massively different principles for foreign policy. For this reason alone we should take a risk on Obama.

2. Bush railed against humanitarian institution building but spoke of the need for missions worthy of the US military. This was foreboding and threatening, and it should have been obvious that he longed for strikes against Iraq, North Korea and Iran. I certainly said that he would do so before he took office.

It was clear before the election that Bush would be bringing people like Negroponte and Abrams back to office with him. Only a wishful idiot could think that Bush did not plan aggression the world over. I am sorry that you deluded yourself.

3. Bush's advisors from the New American Century project were all on record supporting regime change in Iraq and today Clinton and McCain have taken hawkish positions against Iran while all of Obama's advisors are against the occupation of Iraq and war with Iran. There is no reason to believe that there are not major divisions in foreign policy. There is no reason to believe that Obama would not have diplomatic relations with Iran and Syria. Brzezenski has spoken most forcefully against war with Iran and even the war on terror. There is a massive difference between the New American Century and Brzezenski.

It's only by saying that words and policy statements don't matter at all that you can say that the world fate does not ride on the US election. That is, you have pushed yourself to total nihilism in order to evade the responsibility of campaigning for Obama.

Abu Hartal

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/