[lbo-talk] My Earth

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 19 09:15:32 PST 2008

[from Page Six]

Confessions Of The Ultra-rich

"THE One Percent," Jamie Johnson's follow-up to his documentary "Born Rich" - which captured his Upper East Side peers talking about their richness - is premiering tonight, and it promises to be even more titillating than the first film, which had bratty heir Luke Weill bragging he could "buy" people. In the new movie, produced by Johnson and Nick Kurzon, reputed arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi details his role in the Iran-Contra scandal and says, "I gave credit to the CIA for $1 million . . . it was supposed to be a 'hush-hush' operation . . . unfortunately, it backfired a little bit on everybody. As businesspeople, we have ways of manipulating the government officials, and they have ways of manipulating us." Kinko's founder Paul Orfalea, asked if he wants to acquire more wealth, replies, "I want to go to the moon and look down on the Earth and say, that's part of my portfolio.' " The movie also has a scene of Nicole Buffett reading a letter in which her grandfather, multibillionaire Warren, disinherits her for being in the documentary.