[lbo-talk] Truly thou art damned, like an ill-roasted egg, all on one side

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 10:03:25 PST 2008

I've been reading Abu Hartal's "ass kicking", "name taking" posts and wondering why it's so common for leftists (and not just the silver tongued AH) to accuse other leftists of being:

Out of touch with the working class or, in related news, too elitist or "ultra left" (Which to me, sounds like you're a leftie who can create wormholes and battle kaiju creatures. But calm down academic nerds! I know the actual connotation.) or irresponsible or monstrous or nihilistic or idiotic or deranged or too feminist or not feminist enough or too fixated on race or not fixated enough on race or obsessed with big foreign policy questions or totally oblivious to big foreign policy questions or...etc, etc - always negative and recursively self back patting (i.e., you're a nihilist you infectious tardy-gaited malt-worm, whereas I, in stark contrast, care!) - etc.

Whatever happened to, oh, I don't know, something along the lines of 'I disagree with you mate and here's why'? Is everyone auditioning for a staff writing position at the eXile?

If the left is such a big old bag of bat guano, why not jettison it in favor of knitting? If your debating opponents are such awful, awful, awful people why spend any time at all talking to them?

So we don't see eye to eye on the importance of BHO. So what? Julio mentioned the unpredictable fate of our actions. I disagree with his take on BHO but concede that point at least: who knows what will happen as a result of this campaign? I see problems, others see opportunities. The universe is cantankerous; we may both be proven right.

I'm not going to call everyone who disagrees with my pessimism reprehensible because they have a different POV.

Hot heads! Get a fucking grip.

.d.

-- "Rah el sani', ija el ussta"

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/