[lbo-talk] Obama and the Palestinians

abu hartal abuhartal at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:15:40 PST 2008

On this letter to Ambassador Khalizad, someone in the cyberworld raised these reasonable questions:

"First of all, the only place I could find this letter was on some message board, a few blogs, and a second-rate news outlet.

Secondly, is it normal practice for Senators to include a bunch of '...' in their official correspondences?

Finally, one of the sources often cited is this Haaretz link. Its a blog of their Chief US Correspondent, Shmuel Rosner. He doesn't source the letter, so I remain in doubt.

Anyone have a concrete, reliable source for this letter?

If not, I'm guessing that it was 'leaked' by the Obama camp to shore up support from the pro-Israel voting bloc, where he's taking a beating."

Now let's say he did leak it. What was ellipsed out? That he did not think innocent Arab lives were sufficiently respected? That he was willing to condemn both sides?

We do know that Samantha Powers has said that the invasion of Lebanon was counterproductive (though not wrong in principle). We know that Brzezinski supports the Walt and Mearscheimer paper. So we cannot infer Obama's position from this letter alone. All we know is that Obama will rightly insist on security guarantees for Israel in any peace settlement, and that is as it should be. I can't see how any candidate other than Obama represents the possibility of progress for the people suffering the most.

Abu Hartal

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/