[lbo-talk] Obama and the Palestinians

abu hartal abuhartal at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:35:00 PST 2008

> Anyone have a concrete, reliable source for this letter?

It's only on a blog located at Haaretz, and I was not even able to find it on the blog. The full letter has not surfaced; meanwhile the National Review is going to war against Samantha Powers for her statements on behalf of the Palestinians. Her positions are a better indication of Obama's vision than a heavily ellipsed, unverified letter perhaps written in the heat of negotiations over UN resolutions. At any rate, all the letter seems to indicate is that Obama will not lose sight of Israel's real security concerns when it comes time to condemn disproportionate, unjust and counterproductive Israeli reprisals to provocations which Obama insists on condeming too. There is certainly no proof that he thought the Israeli destruction of Lebanon justifiable. In fact we know that his foreign policy advisor did not support it. Can you say that of Hilary Clinton's or John McCain's advisors?

I am surprised that you think this letter could settle much. That's not up to your usual journalistic standards.

Abu Hartal _________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/