[lbo-talk] Guy tried what Ehrenreich did in Nickel & Dimed, finds it's no problem, doesn't know what big deal is

jrdavis from_alamut at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 12:30:47 PST 2008

The dude was a mover....even in my rural area a mover makes about 12.00 an hour plus tips which could total 200.00 at day if he had two moves or even one big one. Thats over 50k a year which does not put one under the poverty level for one.

jim

"B." <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

Yeah, no kidding, he was still basically poor overall, but going from $25 in your pocket to having a car, apartment, and $2,500 (!) in a savings account within 10 months, his message became 'Anyone can do this':

"You can use your talents. That's why, from the beginning, I set very realistic goals: $2,500, a job, car. This isn't a 'rags-to-riches million-dollar' story. This is very realistic. I truly believe, based on what I saw at the shelter ...that anyone can do that."

See, you whiners? Just play your cards right. No excuses for not makin' it. Before he voluntarily chose to duck into poverty, he was an articulate, college educated white guy who lived with his parents. (Actually, while poor I'm sure he was still articulate, and obviously white, and though he had the college degree he says he wiped it from his resume to better play the part.) When he left his self-imposed poverty, the lesson he took from it was that you *can* get out of it if you try hard enough.

-B.