[lbo-talk] Obama & the white guy

Jenny Brown jbrown72073 at cs.com
Wed Feb 20 17:57:50 PST 2008

Wojtek wrote:
>Based on my conversations with social workers and teachers
that I know, a lot of peoplle who "fall through the cracks" do not have the skills to budget money or for that matter plan their day to be on time.

Ah, I think I see the flaw in Wojtek's methodology.

Instead of having conversations with these allegedly late and non-budget-savvy people, you are talking to people whose position requires them to tell themselves fairy tales about how they are different and would never (or will never again) find themselves in such miserable circumstances. These fairy tales also serve to justify why they (the 'helpers') will eat tonight and their clients/students (the 'helpees') won't.

I suggest you go to the primary sources on poverty and on racial discrimination. You'll get better data. There are a few primary sources here on the list who have been generous with their experience.

Jenny Brown