[lbo-talk] Obama & the white guys

W. Kiernan wkiernan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 03:51:18 PST 2008

Doug Henwood quoted Glen Ford:

> The corporate media and most Blacks with access to a mass public

> never seem to seriously examine the meaning of the most dramatic,

> history-shaking statistic in Barack Obama's march to the White House:

> he's picking up strong majorities of white men. That's unheard of in

> the annals of electoral activity in the United States. White men have

> always been the most reactionary, racially-bonded voting group, the

> deepest well of anti-Black hostility in the country. So, what makes

> them flock to Obama's banner? The answer is simple: Obama has based

> his entire strategy on sending messages to white males, assuring them

> he will take race and sex privilege off the table of American

> discourse. They got the message, and vote accordingly. The other side

> of this color blind coin is Black Americans, who don't seem to hear

> the conversation that's going on all around them.

> "His strategy from the very beginning has been to flip the historical

> script by appealing directly to the most backward demographic in

> electoral politics."

> Tuesday's Democratic primaries saw Barack Obama racking up over 60

> percent of the white male vote in Wisconsin, riding an unprecedented

> historical demographic anomaly that will likely send him to the White

> House - barring a third consecutive general election theft by the

> Republicans. It appears Hillary Clinton's goose is cooked.

> Once whites demonstrated their willingness to vote for a "certain

> type" of Black man, in Iowa back in January, it was a foregone

> conclusion that African Americans would line up in overwhelming

> numbers behind the Illinois Senator. Before then, all that had held

> back the tides of Black mass commitment to Obama's candidacy were

> lingering doubts that whites would support any "type" of Black

> person's elevation to the nation's highest office. When that dam

> broke, the African American celebration began. After 400 years in

> slave hell and Jim Crow purgatory, we've finally got a chance! Or so

> the crowd believes.

> Obama wasn't taking any chances. His strategy from the very beginning

> has been to flip the historical script by appealing directly to the

> most backward demographic in electoral politics: white males. This

> "white male strategy" - smelling eerily of a previous Republican

> "southern strategy" - required constant assurances to white men that

> Obama's run would signal the end of race as a point of political

> contention in the United States. No longer would whites, especially

> males, be compelled to answer for their privileged status. A 40-plus

> year annoyance was nearly over, since Blacks had "already come 90

> percent of the way" to equality. Obama told them so.

> Reagan-loving whites - especially the white men who have always led

> the "backlash" against real and perceived African American gains -

> found themselves wooed by a Black man who understood their sense of

> [...]

This is extra stupid. Obama didn't win "up over 60 percent of the white male vote in Wisconsin," or "strong majorities of white men... the most reactionary, racially-bonded voting group..." He picked up 60 percent of white male _Democratic primary voters_. You can be sure that virtually none of the "most reactionary racially-bonded" male mouth-breathers in Wisconsin voted for Obama, because they're all already registered Republicans.

Besides which, what about the all-important misogynist vote? You may have noticed how millions of white American males, after a decade and a half of Pavlovian training via talk radio, roll their eyes back in their sockets and foam at the mouth whenever anyone mentions "that bitch" Hillary.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net