[lbo-talk] is the economy crashing?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 21 06:29:28 PST 2008

Thursday, February 21 7:30 pm

3rd THURSDAYS The Big Bust Is the Economy About to Crash?

Doug Henwood, Lewis Lapham, Nomi Prins & Noah Rosenblatt with Musical Entertainment by Kyp Malone of TV on the Radio

"The United States has developed a new weapon that destroys people but leaves buildings standing. It's called the stock market." – Jay Leno

With the markets gyrating wildly, house prices in freefall, and oil at nearly $100 a barrel, the US economy looks to be heading towards the rocks. But is this a major crisis or merely a hiccup that be can be cured with deft maneuvering by the Fed and Treasury? And if we are on the skids, what policies can the left advance to put things right? Don’t just sit at home worrying how you’re going to make your next mortgage payment. Come join the discussion with our stellar panel of experts.

Doug Henwood is the editor of Left Business Observer

Lewis Lapham is editor of Lapham’s Quarterly

Nomi Prins is the author of Other People’s Money

Noah Rosenblatt, vice president, Halstead Property

The Brecht Forum * 451 West St (betw Bank & Bethune) New York NY 10014