[lbo-talk] Guy tried what Ehrenreich did in Nickel & Dimed, finds it's no problem, doesn't know what big deal is

Percival Myers permaceaem at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 08:03:23 PST 2008

As others have pointed out, his youth etc. weighed in his favor. As others have also questioned, the validity of at least some of his claims are suspect.

Implied but not made clear, employers still benefited from his college education even though it was concealed from them. I'm sure the youth is articulate, engaging, and well-versed in manners and methods of discourse that are not practiced on street corners or back alleys, some of the more usual venues habituated by youths lacking the benefit of his post-high school education.

I would add, we've all heard that the average age of the USA working force is increasing as the boomer generation approaches retirement age. Let's see him repeat his experiment as a 50+ white (or black or hispanic) woman. Then we can see where he is in 10, 12 or even 24 months. I call dibs on sales of popcorn and other refreshments.

Percy