[lbo-talk] Ideal left (was: Obama & the white guy)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 21 12:59:11 PST 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 3:46 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> How come that we want efficient
> technicians to perform most specilized tasks of
> everyday life - from flying aircraft, to designing our
> homes, bridges, or automobiles, to teaching our
> children, and to treating our illness - but then we
> suddenly settle for bumbling idiots who can play the
> crowds when it comes the management of the most
> complex institution even created - the state?

There are things to be said for having good technocrats run the state - e.g., NYC under Bloomberg, as I've said here before. But politics isn't just about administration - it's about, in Margaret Atwood's words, who does what to whom and gets away with it. It's about the distribution and use of resources and coercion. That sort of thing can't be settled technocratically.

Doug