[lbo-talk] My Earth

joseph noonan joseph at noonan.ws
Thu Feb 21 15:53:52 PST 2008

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, knowknot at mindspring.com wrote:

> > I thought Warren Buffett didn't believe in inherited
> > wealth, period. That's what I saw him say in an
> > interview (60 Minutes?) some years ago. He
> > said he wasn't leaving jack to his kids, just paying
> > for their college.
>
> He did not say that in that interview or, apparently (you can look it
> up), in the numerous like others he was giving at the time. The
> substance of what he said instead was that he did not disagree with the
> interviewers' characterization that he was leaving "most" of his (then
> said to be +/- $1.5-billion) to charity (mostly via his arrangements
> with Gates' foundation) and/but one need not be concerned about the
> economic well-being of his children because he had provided and would
> provide, if not "great wealth" to them, what in discussions with them
> they all agreed would be "reasonable" sums.

At which time? If you mean in the last few years, then its not the interview I'm referring to. I'm talking about much longer aog (5-10 yrs), way before he announced the merger with Gates.

Here's a link to when a granddaughter was on Oprah, although I can't find a quote of his saying what I thought I heard.

<http://www.oprah.com/tows/slide/200604/20060421/slide_20060421_350_111.jhtml>

I'm perfectly willing to belive I remembered wrong or someone else said he wasn't leaving his money to the kids, but the interview I remember was much longer ago than 2006 when he announced the Gates thing.

Percival, the movie that started this thread was not just released, I think it is 'premiering' only in the sense that Cinemax is showing it for the first time. It may well be in a local video store. I know I'm going to look for it.

<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0819791/>

-- "Humanity will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

(Voltaire)