[lbo-talk] gender vs race bias

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 06:21:16 PST 2008

There was some article written by Gloria Steinem, I think it was, recently, wherein she basically made it a competition to see who's been more oppressed? Black men, or women in general? The most oppressed is the winner.

Her answer: women, since black men got the right to vote even before white women. That being the case, one should vote for HRC because she wins the oppression showdown and can claim the honorary badge of most. oppresed. ever. or something. I think that stuff is silly, voting for the person who comes from the more historically oppressed group because we're leftists and you just need to do hat. Don't most people concede that Edwards' policies -- though he's a white, hetero male -- were actually more progressive than either BHO or HRC's?

Among other things, Edwards had the best health care plan and seemed like he was gunning for a very serious LBJ (hey, we can use his three letter acronym, eh?) -esque "War on Poverty" rebirth, but for the modern era, with "Great Society" type program to complement it.

Also, if I am wrong (like about the Steinem piece), when you fact-check or correct me, do it congenially, and not in a nasty, abu hartal-y way, please? :)

-B.

Charles Brown wrote:

"CB: Are Black women fitted into the womanly 'stereotype' described here?"