[lbo-talk] Rove

MK mkurk at mac.com
Fri Feb 22 10:05:56 PST 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 12:26 PM, Max B. Sawicky wrote:
> Assume you are able to put together a bunch of folks who will come
> to meetings, make phone calls, write letters, go to demos, pass out
> leaflets. What do they do then?

Constantly - oftentimes it ain't pretty. Other times small concerted efforts can be demonstrated measurably, usually accomplished with the work of a skeleton crew. And to the question what to do then, that is constantly being determined. The groups I work with (and believe me, I help peripherally - there are many others who are much more invested than I) use consensus building - we have workshops (War Resisters League, etc.) that get people out of their accustomed ways of interacting with one another and really help to build community. Break out of the false dichotomies we're bombarded with here in the thought-controlled West.

Also, not everyone does the same thing - people work together to determine what roles are required and which they would like to do. To reach out to others who may not be able or even want to attend meetings, etc. but who can be called upon for support at intervals.

It is certainly a work in progress - reminds me very much of my grad school days when I'd be at the bench for months on end without a clear answer. But one day a glimmer of light flashes - if you're tired or not paying attention you can miss it. And the progress you achieve doesn't necessarily always lead where you want it to.

I know, I've hardly made it compelling. It's really, really difficult in this society as we are so isolated from one another - as we are intended to be.

A couple of places to start are the Quakers (www.afsc.org) and WRL (http://www.warresisters.org/nv_training.htm). Get a few people together on a Saturday afternoon, have a workshop, discuss some direction or action to take - even a long term goal. Find out who else is around you - talk to people. I have discovered that there are legions out there doing remarkable things all around me - I never would have had any idea but for this involvement over the last years. Just knowing they're there is an inspiration.

mk