[lbo-talk] gender vs race bias

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 10:33:37 PST 2008

shag wrote:

> question: have you ever read any feminist research on this topic?

Not much, unfortunately. I can list it all in one paragraph. By Claudia Goldin, a fair amount of her papers. I like her work a lot. By Nancy Folbre, only her Invisible Heart. Before I moved to finance economics, I planned to read her other works. I just didn't get around to doing that. Some of Heather Boushey's papers, of course. Heather was my classmate at the New School. Also I once wrote an empirical paper on maquiladoras and measures of standard of living in Mexico. Since the femaleness of the labor force was an issue, I read some of the lit by Marianne Ferber and her followers on narrowly related topics. A lot of it was more ethnographic, anthropological in character. But it got my interest. It became part of my dissertation. I made some remarks about that lit in my paper. My adviser (a female) wanted me to remove those remarks. She said they were irrelevant and economists would not care. I refused. So that's in the record. And that's about it. Oh, and of course articles on the controversy that Linda Hirschman's article on the American Prospect started, to which Claudia Goldin and Heather replied. That controversy and a great lecture by Goldin led me to look into the data myself.