[lbo-talk] drama at the Brecht Forum

Cseniornyc at aol.com Cseniornyc at aol.com
Sat Feb 23 03:11:02 PST 2008

Well it turned out to be rather anticlimactic this meeting. Strange to arrange a panel about whether the economy is about to crash and not to have a single economist on it. It is like assembling a panel of architects to discuss the best procedure for prostate operations. So we had the profession-undefinable Doug Henwood, a Realtor who extolled the virtues of the market, a literary editor and Nomi Prins a wealthy ex Manager Director at Goldman Sachs and Bear Sterns and who made a lot of money there ,is now retired and playing Liberal Chic. I must say that Mr. Henwood was the most coherent of all although he disappointed the crowd of mostly gloom and doomers and conspiracionists who wanted to hear assurances that the final days of Wall St were arriving very soon. A young questioner was particularly chagrined when Doug told him that usually after recessions Americans actually vote for the right. Although Mr Henwood might be taking correlation for causation, it is still a good observation to keep in mind. It is interesting to notice that the Brecht Forum, a self-proclaimed Marxist center is seldom patronized by the working classes and it is very rare when you see a Union leader on a panel or a seminar. Instead Slavoj Zizek will be there soon again. There were no Marxists on this panel either. Might as well because Marx didn't say much about money and finance, somehow. En passant, I remember Doug saying on this list not too long ago that Marx had said that "money is a social relation".Actually he never said that.

Cris Senior

**************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living. (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/ 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)