[lbo-talk] Humanitarian Imperialism

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 03:36:02 PST 2008

abu hartal on Samantha Power:

> I understand that the Marxists say that she is the
> leading voice of the new humanitarian imperialism
but
> she has been a loud critic of the US occupation of
> Iraq (as well as it seems Israel's war against
> Lebanon)

This is supposed to be a contradiction? Most of the humanitarian imperialists who supported the NATO war against Yugoslavia have hearts that bleed for the Palestinians.

As I have noted before, during the beginning of the second Intifada (2000-2001), many on the on the left in Germany felt a NATO intervention against Israel to be quite plausible, given the constant references in the media to Sharon as the "Israeli Milosevic" and the like. And the humanitarian imperialist Red-Green government also opposed the war in Iraq.

The Bush neoconservatives don't even pretend to be humanitarian imperialists, but are rather naked advocates for the violent assertion of American hegemony. The contemptible stupidity of the Eustonite left consists in trying to reconcile European humanitarian imperialism with Bushist neo-conservative, without recognizing that these are the two opposing ideologies in the new cold war between Europe and the U.S.

Obama merely represents the "European" wing of the American ruling class.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs