[lbo-talk] SMART on the SEIU

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 14:01:33 PST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2008, at 11:42 PM, Steven L. Robinson quoted:
>

> > He praises organizing campaigns for janitors and homecare workers
> > without
> > any mention that many of these organizing efforts have failed to
> > produce
> > substantial increases in wages and benefits. A majority of the Los
> > Angeles
> > homecare workers still make barely over minimum wage and receive no
> > health
> > benefits. In Illinois, homecare workers paid union dues for years
> > without
> > any contract at all.
>
> Hmm, when Bob Fitch said this, he got blasted. But he's right, eh?

I don't recall Fitch's assertions regarding pay and benefits for homecare workers. I do recall him implying that homecare workers weren't real workers (and thus shouldn't be counted among the ranks of the organized) since their job was often to care for sick or otherwise infirm family members, and not presumably something sufficiently masculine like blue-collar industrial work.

On the bread and butter issues, according to the homecare workers' local in SoCal, the current LA County rate -- the result of tens of thousands of providers organizing a union and fighting for a living wage -- is $9.00. On health benefits, I understand the participation rate isn't high because relative to wages costs are high and the benefits aren't that comprehensive. But it's a start and to say there are no healthcare benefits is simply wrong.

http://www.seiu-ultcw.org/Homecare/Los_Angeles/Default.aspx

In IL, I understand homecare workers voluntarily paid union dues for years and years in the hopes of making material improvements in their working conditions. It seems as if those hopes are finally starting to be realized:

http://www.seiu880.org/il_homecare/Victory_for_Home_Care_Workers_.aspx