[lbo-talk] what is the new york times/which is the larger number

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Feb 24 16:48:30 PST 2008

if you read his book, Cheap Motels and a Hot Plate, Mike explains this in terms of capitalism. When he speaks of this kind of ignorance, he's talking about socially produced ignorance. Like the kind of ignorance that means that people on Jay Leno have no idea who John McCain or Al Gore are.

I excerpted the section in Mike's book on this topic:

http://blog.pulpculture.org/2007/05/29/anti-intellectualism/

At 07:09 PM 2/24/2008, Jerry Monaco wrote:

>This is not an attack on Michael.
>
>I never said that Michael Yates accused anybody of being stupid. It was my
>word and one I used before on this list in reference to myself.
>http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2006/2006-December/025489.html
>
>But the implication was that there was some lack of intelligence among
>people who don't know that "The New York Times" is a national newspaper by
>the time they are over 30. Or perhaps Michael only meant a lack of
>curiosity. I made no reference to Michael or Doug in my post at all. There
>is a sense that he is a bit defensive.

,,,