[lbo-talk] Barter Town Will Rebuild, was Rove

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Mon Feb 25 04:55:11 PST 2008

> I think Doug is more of a background check problem than me. I am just
> an old War on Poverty warrior has been. Doug, on the other hand is a
> currently active, shinning public figure of rather dubious
> reputation. Either way, I am sure President Obama's vetting team would
> understand.

The problem with backgrounds is not what satisfies norms rules or laws. It's what is sustainable politically. Doug nor I could take a political appointment because the reaction would prove to be a political burden on the appointer.

> Let's get to the social insurance and public investment. I interpret
> these to be economic speak for socialized medicine funded by income
> tax---possibly modeled on social security, unemployment, worker
> compensation models, some kind of matching contributions from employee,
> employers, with additional income tax supplements found by taxing the
> rich and their capital goodies. Please correct me if I am wrong here,
> and point me to links to clarify if need be. I am assuming the above
> because your expertise is tax reform.

To me the top priority in social insurance is filling out health insurance coverage. I think the Hacker Plan provides the best -- most plausible and practical -- transition strategy to single-payer. As far as financing, the broadest tax base (income) is best.

> Let's say the single payer plan SPP is a component of some larger
> social insurance package that includes Social Security, Medicare,
> Medicaid, unemployment insurance, worker's compensation and other
> allied programs (VA, US civil service plans, etc). I would argue from
> a top-down perspective many of these existing systems should be
> consolidated into modules under a uniform funding system.

Sure consolidation and rationalizing would be good, but I think plugging holes (gaps in coverage) is more important. As you say, there are all sorts of issues in what is covered and cost control that would plague any system. I think there would be rationing issues with a totally government run system, since there as elsewhere there would be pressures to reduce costs.

> Okay, I am still going to advocate something like a War on Poverty
> approach to the healthcare industry, even if a top-down social
> insurance system-public investment (and uniform) funding system was
> passed.

That's fine. But it still depends on who gets elected.