[lbo-talk] SMART on the SEIU

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Feb 25 10:21:05 PST 2008

On Feb 25, 2008, at 3:50 AM, W. Kiernan wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> ...He said that organizing home care workers
>> was very different from organizing conventional
>> workers. With conventional workers, you have to
>> contend with hostile employers (unless you've
>> pre-signed some sweetheart deal), which can be
>> very hard.
>
> But all the home care workers I know of, my wife included, work for
> agencies.
>
> Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net

Not in CA. The public system is run by the counties and the disabled person hires the worker directly. The disabled person is the employer of record. The unions set up public authorities in the county govts so they could bargain collectively with the counties. Wages vary across the state. The wages are quite higher up north.

Marta