[lbo-talk] whom Americans wouldn't vote for

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Feb 25 16:10:47 PST 2008

On Monday 25 February 2008 18:26:28 Carrol Cox wrote:

> And a lot of those who vote for a black would be uneasy at more than one
> black family on their block, and really uncomfortable with 25% black
> enrollment in the local highschool.

Carrol recently had a post -- which I wish I had saved -- on the essential sensibleness of conservatism. IIRC the argument was that people are quite right to dislike change, and only embrace it when their situation becomes intolerable, or after they've had a chance to get used to it.

Doesn't that principle apply to this observation -- which is, of course, quite true, as far as it goes? Maybe the question to ask is not whether people are uncomfortable -- of course they are -- but how long it would take them to *get* comfortable with "25% black enrollment" in the local high school?

Having grown up down South during the desegregation era, I'm pretty impressed by people's adaptability. Back in the late 50s and early 60s, they were all acting like the sky would fall if there were no more "colored" entrances to stores -- and now they're all like, colored entrance, what's that?