[lbo-talk] whom Americans wouldn't vote for

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 25 16:20:06 PST 2008

>I posted an article on psychological experiments along those lines
>the other day. The conclusion was that sexism is more intractable
>than racism, at least in experimental situations.
>
>Doug

At shag's suggestion I've been reading Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology. This weekend I was reading and thinking of the various threads on racism that have been running here lately. A recurring question has been how to break things down as to what has more causal weight between class, poverty, race, etc.

Reading Home Girls this weekend I think what's missing from these conversations is what Chuck Grimes introduced with his post on looking at the landscape. He gave concrete examples of how people live class, race, and poverty. Home Girls is full of stories and conversations about what it's like to *be* black, female, lesbian, poor. Books like this put flesh on statistics and I don't think conversations about race will ever get very far without reading things like this.

Anyway, what Doug cites here is quite clear to the contributors of Home Girls.