[lbo-talk] More on OEO and CAP

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Mon Feb 25 17:14:47 PST 2008

My understanding is that Chuck's war on poverty -- which I had relatively little to do with -- was strangled in the crib in 1967 with the passage of the Green Amendment, which moved control of local anti-poverty programs from independent African-American activists to local government officials, the latter urban white ethnic machine types. In this 'empowerment' phase community groups organized in decentralized fashion for job training, housing, jobs, etc. You could say it was a project on economic development by means of grass-roots mobilization.

The welfare rights phase of the war on poverty -- which I had a *little* bit more to do with -- began and ended later. Francis Fox Piven, one of the coolest women in the universe (I wish I had been a contemporary so I could have asked her to marry me) and associates undertook to flood public assistance offices with applicants and insist on strict adherence to rules, rather than allow discretionary operations to deny and limit benefits. The aim was to force states to go begging to Washington and effect the Federalization of the program.

They succeeded and the program endured until Hillary's husband "fixed" it. Just typing that puts me in an evil mood. In my view, Piven & Co. saw welfare recipients and the long-term unemployed as part of the reserve army of labor. They sought to strengthen benefits as a way to strengthen the claims of employed workers.

Lord knows AFDC was not perfect but the official poverty rate did in fact decline through much of the late 60s and 70s. Inflation was allowed to eat away at real AFDC and Food Stamp benefits, but the sharp blows began when Reagan was elected (the latter story told in "By the Few, For the Few" by Tom Joe and Cheryl Rogers.