[lbo-talk] whom Americans wouldn't vote for

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Feb 25 19:39:48 PST 2008

Michael Smith wrote:

> Having grown up down South during the desegregation era,
> I'm pretty impressed by people's adaptability. Back in the
> late 50s and early 60s, they were all acting like the sky would
> fall if there were no more "colored" entrances to stores -- and
> now they're all like, colored entrance, what's that?

The tendency for people to assume that existing social conditions are inalterable--up to the time that they change!--gives me hope. In fifty years, how many of the social conditions in our society that are currently considered inalterable will be as obsolete as the colored entrance to public buildings?

Miles