[lbo-talk] SMART on the SEIU

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 21:02:15 PST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> I wish Bob hadn't put it that way - it is ugly. Especially since it's
> a gift to SEIU defenders, who can obsess about that and evade his
> main points - that organizing via contribs to Dem politicians is a
> different beast from organizing private sector employees, and the
> homecare workers haven't all seen much in the way of gains from their
> organized status.

I agree that organizing homecare workers isn't like organizing workers in the private sector. And so does SEIU's leadership. Not content with the gains we've made here in recent years, the union is redirecting much more of its resources to campaigns to organize in the private sector.

Again, what is your basis for continuing to assert that homecare workers haven't made material gains by organizing? Bob Fitch? As Lisa Frank's response two years ago makes clear, he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Besides being factually incorrect, the "SMART" "history" Steve Robinson forwards isn't even internally consistent -- it states that the "majority of the Los Angeles homecare workers still make barely over minimum wage" as well as claiming "tens of thousands of homecare workers in Los Angeles . . .still make $9 an hour" ($9 is over 50% greater than the current federal minimum wage of $5.85, btw).