[lbo-talk] crises kill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 26 11:46:51 PST 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 1:36 PM, B. wrote:

> Additionally, it seems like anxiety, and especially
> stress, and the need for sedation/tranquilization
> through either the use of benzodiazepenes, or alcohol,
> etc., is increasing.

People of all classes drink less now than 100 or 200 years ago.

> A lot of this data seems to indicate the economy, as
> it is, takes a massive toll on folks' mental well
> being.

Yeah. It'd be interesting to do an analysis of the political economy of depression. Why are so many people depressed? It seems endemic among young people now - but I don't remember anything like it when I was young. Is it the alienation of capitalist work and the emptiness of affluence, or is that just banal and obvious?

Doug