[lbo-talk] i am *so* not a liberal

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Feb 27 08:33:39 PST 2008

>>> Doug Henwood

> Is this topic back on ? Is Abu Hartal off moderation ?

Abu Hartal - a nom de net for Rakesh Bhandari, who under his real name was known as an enemy of Democrats and of racialized politics -

^^^^ CB: On "not a liberal", I wonder if the Bush regime has given radical conservatism such a bad name that "liberal" may be moving back in favor with the voting majority. O's "uniter-not-a-divider" pose is a liberal tolerance and pluralist position, and it seems to be popular right now. _E pluribus unum_, pluralism or diversity is a liberal principle.

I saw O at length more than sound-bites for the first time last night in the debate. I didn't faint, but now I can see why he's so popular. He's unusually articulate ;and cool ,yet dignified; also, he's just very quick . And he's so not petty, takes the high road; no "gotchas". Also, contrary to the impression I've gotten about him on these lists, he mentioned that he intended to execute for the working class people who lead lives of quiet economic desperation.

Anyway, Rakesh is consistent in his anti-racialized politics. Tim Russert asked O about the Farakhan endorsement. O immediately denounced F's anti-semitic remarks of about 15-20 years ago. "Denounced" ! He said nothing nice about F. That should have pretty much put an end to that. Any more questions white people ? Clinton pipes up with , "well if I got an endorsement I'd reject it". So , O says "ok. I reject the endorsement and denounce F". smile Go ahead and play that race card like you always do. O has got something for you.

^^^^^

has been purged. Fans can check him out on Lou Proyect's list, where he's doing an imitation of Samantha Power.

^^^^ CB: Or hang here where Wojtek does an imitation of a racist sociologist. ( repeating it in the neighborhood of 100 times already)

^^^^^

I'll lift the Obama ban for now. But try not to repeat points that have been made a hundred times already.

^^^^^ CB: We wouldn't be able to talk about much around here if that rule were applied to all thread topics.

Doug